5 Day SMSTS
The Site Management Safety Training Scheme is recognised as the standard requirement by many companies for all managers on their sites. This course is eligible for the CITB Levy, Grants and Funding Scheme.
The 5 day SMSTS training course is designed for construction managers, agents, quantity surveyors, construction directors and project directors. The course is also for people who are, or are preparing to be responsible for: planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff and the workforce.
The four core exercises are completed in order to assess the performance and interaction of each participant within the group.
The four core exercises comprise of the following:
- Exercise 1: Implementing health and safety legislation. To enable candidates to develop ideas about how to define and implement the principles of health, safety and welfare, and how such principles affect the duty holders (client, principal contractor, principal designer, designers, contractors, self-employed, manufacturers and suppliers).
- Exercise 2: Manager and supervisor responsibilities. To enable candidates to consider the general responsibilities of managers, supervisors and operatives on sites, and to develop these into specific responsibilities for given site conditions and operations.
- Exercise 3: Site briefing.To enable candidates to combine their knowledge and experience of construction sites with their skills in analysing and writing specific health and safety instructions for a construction operation on site.
- Exercise 4: Site layout. To enable candidates to use their knowledge, experience and planning skills to plan a construction site layout that will:
- provide a safe working environment where the risk of injury or health hazard has been eliminated or
- reduced as far as is reasonably practicable
- be organisationally sound
- be economical and efficient.
The training course includes a detailed overview of all relevant legislation concerning safe working in the construction industry. It addresses the necessity of risk assessment in the workplace. During the course, there is a focus on implementation of the necessary control measures and communication, to create implement and sustain a health and safety culture within the working environment and workforce.
- Site set-up
- CDM regulations
- Risk assessments
- Method statements
- Confined spaces
- Changes in accepted working practices.
Assessment will be by an end of course exam paper, the completion of four core exercises and a trainer review, for which the candidate will need to gain a PASS in all elements of the review. The exam demonstrates to external bodies that the certificate is only awarded to successful candidates following bothan assessment and exam. Candidates are expected to participate during the course.
The paper consists of 25 questions; 20 multiple choice questions and five short written questions. There are five safety critical questions in the exam paper that must be answered correctly in order to pass the exam. This exam paper must be taken at the end of the course. The exam pass mark is 80% (28 out of 35)
After completion a Site Management Safety Training Scheme certification by CITB is valid for five years.